Sunday, November 7, 2010

Flash Mob

Guess what? I'm posting!!

I know you missed me...and I'm sorry for the long delay. Both of my host parents have reminded me that I haven't posted in a while, and it has in fact been over a month since my last...but I'm back! So don't worry.

First of all, I know I promised a nice post about Bastogne, but since it was September when I visited, I'm going to refer you to Facebook instead. I spent a while on there with the captions, so it's quite informative. Just click here and the magic of hyperlinks will take you to my Facebook album of Bastogne!

And business.

I have so much to write that I won't be able to fit it all in one post, so for today I'll tell you about the flash mob.

On October 24, I took the train from Arlon at about 7:45 a.m. with another exchange student. Lucky us, we had to leave home earlier than everyone else because Arlon is about as far from Brussels as you can get while remaining in Belgium. As we traveled north, we picked up more AFSers on their way to Brussels. It was pretty awesome...we filled up about half of the car! We arrived in Brussels Central Station just before 10:30 and met all the other exchange students and volunteers who arrived earlier. I was so happy that I was literally shaking. I hadn't seen most of these students for two months...since our Arrival Orientation in August. I'd made friends with many of them and I'd spent four days with the other Americans before meeting my host family, so it was great to be able to spend the day together. So after many hugs, our group set off for a gymnasium where we practiced our dance. We practiced for about two hours, had a break for lunch, and then practiced for a couple more hours. And

We walked to the Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert, where we walked around for about 15 minutes before the start of the dance. We were supposed to look like normal pedestrians, but I'm not sure we were successful, considering about half of us were wearing bright yellow AFS shirts. And, finally, the music started. I was in one of the groups starting the dance, so I got to dance the whole thing :)

Here's the link to watch:

After we finished, I was able to spend some time with some other students before my train. Then I took the train home, though luckily I was only alone for the second half of the trip. It was a great day, but it was nice to come home to my host family.

I'll try to post again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment